In Barclays Technology, we build solutions that make life simple for our customers. Solutions that are global, agile and smart. As a part of our team, you'll recode and reimagine, learn and adapt. Rewire what the world needs, and look ahead. This is where you can be at your best. Where you can redefine the future of finance.
Aug. 16, 2021
COO & Functions
Private Bank Technology Design Lead
As a Barclays Design Lead you will work across our key business stakeholders at all levels up to MD and partner with technology platform teams to articulate and develop to a component level a comprehensive technology strategy. This will be a central role in implementation and driving of a platform strategy to grow the Private Bank business.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
What you’ll be doing?
• Owning business design to take a strategy to execution across multiple technology platforms and ensuring that any proposals align to the overall Barclays technology strategy
• Being a technology expert to whom the business trusts to realise their aspirations as to how they can best drive their business forward in helping our clients
• Challenging the status quo; things don’t change by themselves, so new thinking is welcomed and applauded
• Ensuring the propagation of best practices and developing re-usable components; driving development of assets (e.g. tools, accelerators, etc.) and other intellectual property
• Providing technology leadership and guidance, understanding the business challenge and desired outcome and helping teams formulate optimal solutions
• Providing insight on the best Technology solutions available to meet business requirements
• Developing understanding of both internal Barclays platforms and external platform providers
• Ensuring that at all times, business requirements and proposition are aligned to technology delivery and that where decisions are made that relevant stakeholders are in full agreement
What we’re looking for:
• Experience in designing complex technology landscapes balancing legacy constraints with new technological opportunities
• Excellent communication skills – comfortable presenting to senior stakeholders
• Evidence of stakeholder management up to MD level
• Experience of delivering change in a Digital environment, ensuring that all aspects of client engagement and servicing across all channels are fully considered
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Experience in Financial Services project delivery, especially in a Private Banking or Wealth Management environment for a multi-national organisation
• Knowledge of agile processes with a view on how to maximise success
• Experience of Digital Technology design and delivery
Where will you be working?
We’ve been in Scotland for 250 years, and our significance has never been as important as it is today. You can find Tay House nestled in a fantastic central city location, a short walk from both Central and Charing Cross train stations, and not far from Sauchiehall Street and Argyll Street, two of the city’s main shopping hubs. We’re committed to giving everyone the opportunity to thrive at Barclays, investing in our people, communities, and facilities – highlighted by our new state-of-the-art campus opening soon in the city centre.
What you get in return
However high you rise at Barclays, we believe all our employees should receive a competitive package of core benefits flexible to you and your family’s needs. At Barclays, you’ll support our customers and clients, and we’ll support you with rewards that will genuinely make a difference.
To be successful in Barclays Technology, there are a few things we look for. Creativity, curiosity, and an excitement of what we can offer, and what you can do here.
We are continually investing in the technology powering our business. This means rebuilding and reinventing our systems to make them fit for a world-class future. It means developing systems that help us support and protect the global economy. It means anticipating the future and taking Barclays forward as a technology-led business. We are building a team of the most perceptive and talented tech analysts, engineers and developers fluent in the most current languages to deliver all of this, and more.
Where do you want to take your tech career?
Financial services is going through a massive transformation, and here at Barclays we’re leading the way. People are our greatest asset. And that’s why we give our colleagues the opportunity and space to explore their ideas, and innovate on a global scale.
Find out more about what our leaders think the Barclays workforce of the future will look like.
I find that the work/life balance in my current role allows me to be more productive and flexible, to ensure my personal and professional ‘lives’ have the attention they need.
Head of Client Management Application Support – Whippany, New Jersey
Barclays technology has a crucial role to play and I have relished the opportunity to be involved in game-changing tech programmes.
Business Banking and BFA Chief Information Officer – Radbroke, Knutsford
The great thing about Barclays is that I get to work on great technological pieces, while seeing the effect they have on this important business.
Electronic Trading Technology – Prague, Czech Republic
Barclays’ strong values of Service and Excellence are very much evident in the work we do. Our exciting tech solutions have improved customer and colleague experiences, and added huge value to the bank.
Delivery Manager and Business Analyst – Pune, India
More about working at Barclays
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a Carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.