Research Analyst Economist
This role is deemed as a Certified role under the PRA & UK Financial Conduct Authority - Individual Accountabilities Regulations and may require the role holder to hold mandatory regulatory qualifications or the minimum qualifications to meet internal company benchmarks.
This role is deemed as a Controlled Function role under the Central Bank of Ireland Fitness and Probity Regulations and may require the role holder to hold mandatory regulatory qualifications or the minimum qualifications to meet internal company benchmarks.
As Barclays Research Analyst Economist, you will be a part of European Economics Research team, which is a group of 7 economists, responsible for covering the macroeconomic situation of the Europe, collaborating with Economics Research in Americas and in Asia. In your role, you will contribute to economic research effort for the European area by producing macroeconomic forecasts, models and being involved in many more activities the team covers.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, established in 1690, with a legacy of success, quality, and innovation. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We want to help Barclays become everything it can be in Europe. We’re building a truly European bank with the support of one of the world’s largest and most respected financial institutions, and this creates big career development opportunities for everyone involved. We offer challenging, career defining roles, and the opportunity to test your skills and try new ideas. This is your chance to stretch yourself and accelerate your progression.
At Barclays, we offer a hybrid working experience that blends the positives of working alongside colleagues at our onsite locations, together with working from home. We have a structured approach where colleagues work at an onsite location on fixed, ‘anchor’, days of the week, for a minimum of two days a week or more, as set by the business area (or nearest equivalent if working part-time hours). Please discuss the working pattern requirements for the role you are applying for with the hiring manager. Please note that as we continue to embed our hybrid working environment, we remain in a test and learn phase, which means that working arrangements may be subject to change on reasonable notice to ensure we meet the needs of our business.
What will you be doing?
• Contributing to the team discussion and decision-making process on forecasts and monetary policy calls
• Being proactive in developing econometric models, writing research, and providing analysis
• Supporting with providing information on euro area economies to internal and external clients
• Being responsible for delivering the best possible economic research internally and externally
• Acting with rigour for maintaining databases
• Being responsible for developing forecasting models on economic activity and inflation and maintaining existing econometric models on activity and inflation
• Supporting with writing reports on key data releases such as PMIs, industrial production, inflation with both short-term and medium-term forecasting
• Supporting in maintaining and developing team power point presentation and data tables released to clients and monitoring policy-maker’s speeches
What we’re looking for:
• Masters or PhD in economics, econometrics, data analytics, finance or similar
• Excellent modelling skills, writing and analytical skills and empirical data
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of excel and one or more econometric software (e.g., Matlab, Python, R, Stata, Eviews) plus excellent knowledge of data analytics
• Fluent in both written and spoken French
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Knowledge of German, French, Italian or Spanish
• Knowledge of machine learning techniques
• Some experience in presenting to academic, policy, investors audience
Where will you be working?
Dating from 1922, Barclays has a long-established presence in France. Today, from our office in Paris we provide a full-service Investment Bank offering to our local and global clients. Our integrated coverage model means we are able to provide our clients with access to deep expertise across sectors, regions and products. We deliver informed strategic advice, comprehensive financial solutions and risk management services, creating sophisticated strategies customised to meet our clients’ needs.