Job Title : Markets Business Control Manager - AVP
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Risk and Control Objective
Take ownership for managing risk and strengthening controls in relation to the work you do
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
Structured hybrid role:
At Barclays, we offer a hybrid working experience that blends the positives of working alongside colleagues at our onsite locations, together with working from home. We have a structured approach where colleagues work at an onsite location on fixed, ‘anchor’, days of the week, for a minimum of two days a week or more, as set by the business area (or nearest equivalent if working part-time hours). Please discuss the working pattern requirements for the role you are applying for with the hiring manager. Please note that as we continue to embed our hybrid working environment, we remain in a test and learn phase, which means that working arrangements may be subject to change on reasonable notice to ensure we meet the needs of our business.
ïƒ˜ Support as Control Business Partner and deliver on CCO activities undertaken for functions that includes RCSA, Process Reviews, Governance, Control Assurances, EUDA, Issues and Risk Events management per the group policies and standards. The primary focus is on evaluation of controls, policies, procedures and standards across processes to identify design and operational control weaknesses and drive remedial actions for improving the business control environment.
ïƒ˜ Co-ordinate and support CCO Teams across geographies.
ïƒ˜ Track and monitor risk events, control issues, perform control issue / action remediation.
ïƒ˜ Ensure and Promote adherence to Barclays Control Framework
ïƒ˜ Provide support and guidance to aid the resolution of business risk and control issues.
ïƒ˜ Undertake process deep dives, thematic and targeted reviews basis risk profiling, analysis or specific request from the business head.
What will you be doing?
ïƒ˜ Co-ordinate and deliver on Barclays policy, standards and operating model in place with regards to Issues, Risk Event, RCSA and EUDA Management activities for the in-scope processes.
ïƒ˜ Assist and support to ensure adherence to Barclays Controls framework (BCF) /methodology and operationally efficient and effective, considering risk appetite extensive knowledge that the role holder must hold.
ïƒ˜ Up to date with regard to CCO obligations under the Group Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
ïƒ˜ Supports Business and Functions ensuring delivery of the right level of BCF requirements.
ïƒ˜ Supports in providing assurance to the Process head/AE re confidence in the control framework in place.
ïƒ˜ Proactively identifying continuous improvements to the financial control environment and associated framework, supporting policies, methodologies and applications in relation to assurance activity.
ïƒ˜ Provide review and challenge to the Functions/Process Owners in respect of control weaknesses and risk exposure.
ïƒ˜ Check conformance with the Group Policies across the Functions/Processes to identify the key business process risks, determine the effectiveness of operational controls and drive out remedial actions for improving the business control framework
ïƒ˜ Drive standardisation/automation initiatives of CCO across Business with regard to compliance to Group Policy and Methodology and by also means of performing Change Risk / Delivered Risk Assessments
ïƒ˜ Act as a role model and drive proactive application of Barclays Behaviors throughout the team
What we’re looking for:
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
• Excellent relationship building, networking, negotiation and influencing skills.
• Excellent time management, prioritisation and multi tasking skills.
• Excellent execution skills.
• Strong data analytical and quantitative skills.
• Strong project and change management skills.
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Chartered Accountant/ Certified Internal Auditor/ CPA or equivalent qualification in Auditing or Risk Management/Graduate or Post Graduate with experience in Controls i.e. Controls Business Partner or Control Assurance and Tester and Operational Risk Management
• Extensive experience in Internal Audit, Control Business Partnership, Controls Assurance & Testing and Operational Risk Management.
• Comprehensive understanding of governance and control frameworks and processes, and all aspects of operational risk management. Highly motivated, business-focussed and forward-thinking.
• Extensive experience in senior stakeholder management, ability to communicate internal control concepts clearly in a business context. Ability to manage reporting lines and relationships across multiple disciplines.
• Controls Experience in areas viz. Markets, Markets Operations, KYC, Financial Crime, AML, Customer Due Diligence, Sanctions, Trade Operations, Credit Lending, Global Payments, Reference Data etc.
• Markets Product Knowledge
• Understanding and application of Data science and analytics
• Sound commercial judgment and overall understanding of the Financial Services Industry, particularly the business impact of the regulatory environment.
• Experience of designing, communicating & implementing internal control policies.
• Proficient in use of MS Office packages (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.).
• Knowledge of internal control and regulatory requirements & practice e.g. Turnbull, Sarbanes-Oxley, COSO, Basel II Accord relating to operational risk preferred.
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Purpose, Values and Mindset
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.