Job Title : Markets Business Control Manager - AVP
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Risk and Control Objective
Take ownership for managing risk and strengthening controls in relation to the work you do
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
Structured hybrid role:
At Barclays, we offer a hybrid working experience that blends the positives of working alongside colleagues at our onsite locations, together with working from home. We have a structured approach where colleagues work at an onsite location on fixed, ‘anchor’, days of the week, for a minimum of two days a week or more, as set by the business area (or nearest equivalent if working part-time hours). Please discuss the working pattern requirements for the role you are applying for with the hiring manager. Please note that as we continue to embed our hybrid working environment, we remain in a test and learn phase, which means that working arrangements may be subject to change on reasonable notice to ensure we meet the needs of our business.
• Partner with the business providing controls-related subject matter expertise, helping them comply with requirements under the Barclays Control Framework (BCF) in a sustainable manner, achieving compliance now, and importantly through their strategic plans.
• Aligned to a designated portfolio of Business, Functions or Horizontals to support input, guidance and risk management expertise across the Controls environment.
• To support and provide clear articulation of the risk and control landscapes including ability to demonstrate an understanding of control requirements for relevant internal Barclays and external Regulatory policies. This will include (but is not limited to): Control, Issues, Risk Event and Audit guidance, guidance on Policies and Standards and the oversight and management of risk.
• Support coordination and syndication of all Control Services, ensuring consistency and quality delivery of the Controls Strategy, Control Frameworks, improvement initiatives and capabilities across each Business, Functions or Horizontals.
• To develop and maintain relationships with senior colleagues and stakeholders - with the ability to effectively challenge risk and control decisions, when needed.
• To support implementation of Business Specific Controls
What will you be doing?
• To support oversight and guidance relating to issues management in respect of risk and control issues including quality and adherence to SLAs throughout the issues management process.
• Working together to ensure frameworks are implemented and managed effectively across aligned businesses, functions and horizontals.
• Provide advice, education and awareness relating to issues management as part of continuous improvement and enhanced service framework.
• Driving improved and sustainable controls culture through use of data led relevant indicators to ensure Control Forums are insightful and conversations risk focused, while also overseeing the Control Framework.
• Monitor key indictors and provide insights to leadership to oversee their risk profile. This includes analytics covering root cause analysis of issues and thematic trends, supporting the function to predict areas of risk exposure.
• Proactively identify and resolve thematic issues to help drive control enhancement opportunities through the use of key data such as Control Reporting & Data insights.
• Specialist consultancy and advisory service to help to drive high quality risk management in line with strategy, regulation, Group frameworks, policies and standards to deliver a sustainable and strengthened control environment and control culture.
• Deploying knowledge and expertise to assess, predict and mitigate future risks whilst helping to guiding the business, functions and horizontals on using the Control Framework in a way that allows the business to safely grow and innovate.
• Support management and coordination of regulatory inputs to control reporting, briefings and relevant governance fora (as required).
• Supporting Senior Managers (SMRs) and Material Risk Takers (MRTs) in the effective discharge of their responsibilities.
• Partnering with 2nd Line of Defence (2LOD i.e. Compliance, Operational Risk) and 3rd Line of Defence (i.e. Barclays Internal Audit) colleagues to input on common areas of interest to provide an enriched controls advisory service.
• Support Markets business through designing new controls, enhancing the existing controls and monitoring controls to ensure they are operating effectively. To prepare governance forum materials and provide administrative support for the forums, including maintaining tracker of action items, meeting minutes, voting member logs. To take on analytical work by getting involved in various adhoc projects such as proposal of new fees structure. Collaborate with IT to develop/ automate existing controls.
• Training & mentoring new joiners in the team
What we’re looking for:
• Curious and inquisitive mind.
• Data driven, able to synthesise recommendations from large and varied sources of data.
• Ability to influence upwards.
• Autonomous and able to influence & deliver in a matrix organisation.
• Organised with the ability to prioritise and work under pressure, delivering to tight deadlines and multiple demands.
• Collaborative and able to share best practice at all levels.
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Experience of working in or within a Control type role / team.
• Ability to apply judgement and balance risk versus business interest whilst ensuring compliance to all relevant policies and standards.
• Knowledgeable on aspects of Enterprise Risk Management Framework (ERMF), Operational Risk Framework (ORF) and Barclays Control Framework (BCF).
• Basic educational qualification- Any Graduate
• Extensive working knowledge of operational risk & control processes and practices, including experience in their application across functions with ability to demonstrate a risk management mindset.
• Knowledge of Investment Management businesses, Investment Banking products
• Effective written and oral communication skills, with the ability to present credibly to senior stakeholders.
• Experienced in dealing with multiple stakeholders in different business functions who have different objectives e.g. Barclays Internal Audit, Risk, Compliance, Fraud, Legal.
• Strong Excel skills including extensive experience in managing large quantities of data, pivots, formulas, Vlookup, etc
• Ability to provide thought leadership through bringing together insight and analysis including external knowledge.
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Purpose, Values and Mindset
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.