Job Title: - Credit Risk Validation
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life.
If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager. and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally are able to request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances These requests will be reviewed and agreed for a period of time i.e., will have a start and end date.
Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
The person filling the role is responsible for being validator for a wide range of models used in IRB (Basel/Capital), Impairment (IFRS9) and BoE stress testing frameworks. These models/frameworks are crucially important for daily business management of the Barclays Group and its legal entities as well as to meet important regulatory requirements with respect to independent validation of these frameworks.
What will you be doing?
Independent review and challenge
• Perform technical analyses, data analyses, benchmarking, build challenger models (if needed) to support the validation review and challenge process
• Must be able to challenge others and be open to challenge.
• Should seek direction on which issues are material but have own views on this also.
• Produce high quality model validation reports, with a particular focus on noting limitations, weaknesses and assumptions
• Self-study of developments in modelling and validation techniques;
• Contribution to internal and external technical presentations to enhance the team development.
What we’re looking for:
• Highly numerate, as demonstrated by Honours degree, Masters or PhD (or similar) in a quantitative subject such as Mathematics, Physics, Operational Research, Economics, or Finance
• Significant experience of coding in R/SQL/C++/Python or equivalent language, including handling large datasets and writing functions.
• Good communication and influencing skills, ability to produce high quality written communication for technical and non-technical audiences.
• Highly organised in terms of documentation and follow through.
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Ph.D. in quantitative fields, such as Mathematics, Physics, Operational Research, Finance, and Economics
• Relevant experience in either model development or in model validation
• Ability to work in a high performing team, and the ability to work and liaise with others in a diverse team
• Beyond risk management, knowledge in financial projection, capital management and treasury
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Purpose, Values and Mindset
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.