Job Title: Sox Testing Analyst
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life.
If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally are able to request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances These requests will be reviewed and agreed for a period of time i.e., will have a start and end date.
Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
Core responsibility is to execute design assessment and operating effectiveness testing of controls in accordance with testing plans and aligned to relevant policies, procedures and quality standards providing assurance to Management that the processes and controls within the reviewed Business Unit are effectively designed and operating to mitigating the identified risks. This will include:
• Maintaining the overall risk and control framework within Barclays Finance and supported BUs.
• Ensuring compliance to SOx requirements
• Support AVP and VP in influencing stakeholders in BUs served by Finance Controls Assurance to embed a strong control environment and risk management culture
What will you be doing?
Control Environment -
• Ensure all assigned Controls Testing related requirements are complied in accordance to the Barclays Control Framework and SOX testing methodology. .
• Support the AVP and VP in Yearly SOX Scoping and Half Yearly refresh.
• PerformProcess Design Assessments, Testing of Controls (Manual,), Change Control etc. Understanding of Automated Business Controls and General Computing Controls.
• Prepare reports and MI for Control Committees and other Goverance Forums. Maintain and track Issues MI, DEA and OET Planners, etc.
• Support a culture of Risk and Governance in Finance Governance and Controls,through Risk Campaign, and other activities. Partner with the CBP teams as required.
• Support the Risk Management and Control agenda for Finance Controls Assurance, to identify the key business process risks, determine the design and operational effectiveness of all the controls and drive remedial actions.
• Identify Risks and Controls and develop an appropriate assuranceapproach.
• Assist VP and AVP in influencing / convincing the stakeholders to understand risks and agree to the issues identified.
• Coordinate with and support External Auditors in their Design Assessment and Control Testing.
• Perform post incident reviews to identify root causes, ensure necessary remedial action is implemented and ensure learning points are shared across functions.
• Identify and implement opportunities to rationalise the Risks and Controls without compromising on the Control Environment and Barclays Risk Appetite.
• Champion a culture of customer service and continuous improvement within Barclays Finance and other relevant areas. Ensure that opportunities for controls, process and service improvements are encouraged.
• Identify continuous improvement opportunities to create efficiencies in the process and implement them..
• Ensure compliance with applicable policies to Barclays Finance.
• Act as Subject Matter Expert to ensure that all policies are interpreted and implemented as per Group guidelines.
• Perform regular testing and reviews across Business Units supported by Finance Governance and Controls Team to ensure 100% policy as well as regulatory compliance.
What we’re looking for:
• Qualified Fresh Chartered accountant with articleship experience in a reputed firm (preferably Big 4s)
• Commercial knowledge including industry experience on SOx and Risk Management practices including but not limited to Internal Audit. Ability to communicate internal control concepts clearly, in a business context.
• Influencing and convincing skills to impact decisions of onshore and offshore stakeholders and external stakeholders. Keeps stakeholders (including Auditors) up-to-date with the progress of the audit work, observation status
• Ability to interpret, analyse and derive logical conclusions on data patterns.
• Verbal and written communication skills to influence Internal and External stakeholders
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Knowledge of MS Office packages (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power-point)
• Knowledge of internal control and regulatory requirements & practice e.g. Turnbull, Sarbanes-Oxley, COSO.
• A comprehensive knowledge, and practical experience, of the main operational processes within the business and a good understanding of the procedures and control framework. Awareness of the specific current requirements of the US GAAP / IFRS/IAS regimes
• Working level knowledge on/exposure to Financial Accounting and Reporting processes, Treasury activities from Origination to Reporting across Capital Markets - Debt & Equity Issuances, Treasury Product Control etc, Finance processes in Retail and Corporate Banking, IFRS accounting and reporting standards.
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Purpose, Values and Mindset
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.