About Trade & Working Capital
Trade and Working Capital is a specialist team within Barclays and comprises of Origination, Structuring and Client Management, supported by Product Management, Projects, Operational Rigour, Business Management and functional partners.
We work closely with Corporate Relationship Directors to deliver financial solutions that are right for our clients businesses. Products provided to clients include Bonds, Guarantees and Indemnities, Letters of Credit and Collections, Trade Loans, Receivables Finance, Sales Finance (with or without recourse) and Supplier Finance.
There are c.200 colleagues in T&WC and the business is set-up with origination teams, structuring teams and client management and implementation teams.
Our frontline originators and business development managers spend time with Barclays clients or Barclays acquisition targets to understand their business cycle. However complex, the requirements are primarily to mitigate risk, ensure payment security and maximise working capital - our suite of products and services can support any client’s needs.
Overall purpose of role
- Develop and implement trade finance origination strategy for the corporate clients, managing the client base from a trade finance origination perspective in close co-operation with the coverage unit.
- Maximise the trade origination revenue for the geographic region / client segment in line with revenue targets and maximize limit utilization and cross-sell of trade products.
- Ability to originate, implement and develop trade structure products
- Support the development of / calling program for Trade Finance
- Implement and monitor the trade origination plan to achieve targeted revenue objectives.
- Good experience in trade structure i.e ECA, receivable discounting and supply chain finance to support the growth of the ME franchise.
- Monitor client Trade Finance utilizations and make origination calls to promote Trade Finance
- Refer new to bank clients and offer out of box solutions
- Advise clients on trade transactions and engage the Trade Product team in UAE or centrally in UK for an E2E customer solution.
- Support the relationship team in Barclays by providing the necessary skills, knowledge and training to help drive trade finance origination in Barclays UAE. Maintain a balance between funded, unfunded and trade service revenues.
- Focus on achieving high returns on RWA as guided by the bank’s policies. Focus on trade products of low RWA usage. Compete effectively on pricing in line with competition.
- Deliver against aggressive volume & revenue targets set by Regional Head of TWC jointly with senior management.
- Maintain a calling program of new and existing clients. Feed new client’s requirements including any market / product intelligence to the product team for development.
- Promote cross-sell opportunities to Treasury.
- Take ownership with coverage of new & renewal of credit proposals for Trade Finance. Minimize risk and impairments for Trade Finance and highlight any risks at an early stage.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
- Build strong working relationships within ICB team, including with senior colleagues and leadership
- Build a strong network of relationships across the Bank to promote ‘One Barclays’.
- Work with internal stakeholders including Operations, Credit, Legal, Compliance to offer value add solutions in Trade Finance
- Work with Operations & Corporate Services to ensure that customer service levels are maintained at all time. Support any training requirement in Corporate Services / Operations.
- Refer new clients to the Coverage Team to develop a full relationship with Barclays UAE.
Decision-making and Problem Solving
- Create presentations to clients on Barclays Trade Finance solutions.
- Identify the client needs and work with the Trade Finance team to develop innovative trade finance solutions
- Compile a weekly / monthly trade origination report showing, target clients, origination revenue, pipeline origination revenue, competitor information, percentage budget achieved year to date and client satisfaction/complaints etc
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
- Client and Customer focused
- Commercial minded
- Effective risk management
- Deliver solutions
- Strong decision making, communication and influencing skills
- Skilled in people development
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelors or Master Degree
- Excellent Trade Finance product experience and knowledge for plain vanilla and structured trade. the ability to identify market needs and work with a team to develop cutting-edge solutions to position Barclays UAE as a Market leader in Trade Finance.
- Good planning, organization and communication skills.
- A working understanding of UCP 600, URR 725, URDG, Incoterms, currency hedging instruments and Exchange Control Rules and Regulations.
- Team Player – ability to work in a Matrix organization across different cultures.
- Good communication, people and presentation skills.
- Ability to prepare business presentations and economic intelligence. Eager to own a business segment and develop to the next level of trade finance utilization and revenues.
- Self motivated and proactive approach to marketing origination.
- Strong leadership skills, results orientated, committed and with strong sense of discipline and delivery.
- Extensive local market in a reputed bank, preferably large international bank.
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
- Arabic / Hindi / Urdu speaking
- Credit analysis will be an advantage
- A working knowledge and experience of structured trade
Purpose and Values
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.