- About Us
- Business Areas
- Early Careers
You have not viewed any jobs yet.
Date live: Mar. 15, 2023
Business Area: COO & Functions
Area of Expertise: Finance
Reference Code: 90366743
Take a look at the map to see what’s nearby. Train stations & bus stops, gyms, restaurants and more.Explore location
As a Barclays Tax Manager, you will form part of the existing German Tax team and will be accountable for operational & indirect tax matters, monthly preparation/filing of mandatory VAT, returns, associated operational tax filings for Barclays Bank Ireland PLC Hamburg Branch. The Global Tax Function is accountable for all taxation matters that impact Barclays as an organization. Its purpose is to create value for Barclays by managing the impact of tax through planning that is consistent with our Tax Principles.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality, and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognizes and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month, or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally can request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances. Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager
What will you be doing?
• Communicating with senior stakeholders across the branch including the CFO and CEO
• Advising on the tax strategy for the Branch after reconciliation with the Head of Tax Germany including subsequent negotiation with and influencing of stakeholders
• Establishing relationships and work collaboratively with the business and other functions for Hamburg including senior management
• Liaising with various teams locally and with Barclays’ headquarters in London
• Acting as a trusted partner to the businesses we operate in Germany, including the provision of high-quality advice on tax technical issues
• Monitoring changes to tax legislation, jurisprudence and disclosures of the fiscal authorities that could have an impact on Barclays’ operations in Hamburg
• Managing and supporting preparation of other tax related queries, i.e., diverse tax reporting/planning/forecasting
• Building the relationship with the local tax authorities Manage risk and control effectively by embedding and applying the applicable tax risk and control frameworks
What we’re looking for:
• Fluent in German and English language
• German tax experience, preferably from working at a leading advisory firm and/or an institution in the financial services sector
• Articulate and able to communicate confidently and well
• Numerate, with an ability to use and interpret financial data
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Successfully passed Tax advisor exam preferable
• Experience of a dealing with a broad range of taxes (corporate income tax, VAT, operational taxes, transfer pricing)
Where will you be working?
Our new Frankfurt office is based in the heart of the new business district in the Taunus Turm. It boasts modern, collaborative work spaces and offers a gym, a number of different food outlets close by and direct access to a large park.
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a Carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
This is the spirit of Barclays. It’s why we exist, what we believe and how we behave. But most importantly, it’s how we make decisions, take action and get things done.
We exist to provide responsible finance to people and business – but also a whole lot more.
We believe great talent RISES. It acts with Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We discover our full potential through our desire to Empower, Challenge and Drive each other.