In Barclays Technology, we build solutions that make life simple for our customers. Solutions that are global, agile and smart. As a part of our team, you'll recode and reimagine, learn and adapt. Rewire what the world needs, and look ahead. This is where you can be at your best. Where you can redefine the future of finance.
Nov. 25, 2021
COO & Functions
Technology Development Manager
As a Barclays Technology Development Manager, you will work within the Risk, Finance and Treasury team. The Chief Operating office for Risk, Finance and Treasury supports the effective and cost-efficient execution of Risk, Finance and Treasury functions through the provision of world class technology, change, data and information. This support extends to all the functions that roll up to the Group Finance Director and the Group Chief Risk Officer.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
What you’ll be doing?
• Providing day to day direction to development leads who head up build teams on a number of projects
• Using data to drive improvements in development process, and ensure quality and standards are met
• Ensuring plans are developed and tracked to appropriate standards, are unambiguous and achievable, and that dependencies are clearly understood and managed
• Ensuring delivery of the platform and service meets requirements, and that acceptance and handover to business as usual are managed against agreed acceptance criteria
• Making sure integrity is maintained by utilising best practice approach to development, and implementation of Production change
• Ensuring that all Project status reporting is accurate, informative and timely, and directly provides progress reports to the Technology Partner and Project governance forums
• Initiating extra activities and other management interventions wherever gaps in the Project are identified or issues arise
• Understanding customer needs and designs systems that allow customers to meet their business needs
What we’re looking for:
• Excellent understanding of SOA and n-tier development
• Proven solution design and documentation skills within an IT project background
• Excellent understanding of software design patterns
• Delivery of solutions that utilise the following concepts: Version Control Management Systems; Continuous Integration Platforms; Software Component Management Systems
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Agile, DevOps, Lean, ITIL, AWS and other cloud technologies (Azure, etc.)
• Chef, Docker, Groovy, Gradle/ Maven, Shell, Powershell, ELK, Appd
• Experience of Oracle Databases & PL SQL
• Experience of development languages – Python, .NET, Java
Where will you be working?
We’ll soon be opening our new state-of-the-art campus, right in the heart of Glasgow. It will be a hub of creative collaboration. A place where everyone can bring their true selves to work and reach their full potential. Home to 5,000 of our colleagues, our Tradeston campus will support the community in more ways than one - by creating thousands of new career opportunities and celebrating local artists. A short walk from Central Station on the south of the Clyde, it will be a key location for the Barclays business that will deepen our ties with the city and its communities.
What you get in return
However high you rise at Barclays, we believe all our employees should receive a competitive package of core benefits flexible to you and your family’s needs. At Barclays, you’ll support our customers and clients, and we’ll support you with rewards that will genuinely make a difference.
To be successful in Barclays Technology, there are a few things we look for. Creativity, curiosity, and an excitement of what we can offer, and what you can do here.
We are continually investing in the technology powering our business. This means rebuilding and reinventing our systems to make them fit for a world-class future. It means developing systems that help us support and protect the global economy. It means anticipating the future and taking Barclays forward as a technology-led business. We are building a team of the most perceptive and talented tech analysts, engineers and developers fluent in the most current languages to deliver all of this, and more.
Where do you want to take your tech career?
Financial services is going through a massive transformation, and here at Barclays we’re leading the way. People are our greatest asset. And that’s why we give our colleagues the opportunity and space to explore their ideas, and innovate on a global scale.
Find out more about what our leaders think the Barclays workforce of the future will look like.
I find that the work/life balance in my current role allows me to be more productive and flexible, to ensure my personal and professional ‘lives’ have the attention they need.
Head of Client Management Application Support – Whippany, New Jersey
Barclays technology has a crucial role to play and I have relished the opportunity to be involved in game-changing tech programmes.
Business Banking and BFA Chief Information Officer – Radbroke, Knutsford
The great thing about Barclays is that I get to work on great technological pieces, while seeing the effect they have on this important business.
Electronic Trading Technology – Prague, Czech Republic
Barclays’ strong values of Service and Excellence are very much evident in the work we do. Our exciting tech solutions have improved customer and colleague experiences, and added huge value to the bank.
Delivery Manager and Business Analyst – Pune, India
More about working at Barclays
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a Carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.