Job Title : VP - Fraud & AIML Model Validation
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Risk and Control Objective
Take ownership for managing risk and strengthening controls in relation to the work you do
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
Structured hybrid role:
At Barclays, we offer a hybrid working experience that blends the positives of working alongside colleagues at our onsite locations, together with working from home. We have a structured approach where colleagues work at an onsite location on fixed, ‘anchor’, days of the week, for a minimum of two days a week or more, as set by the business area (or nearest equivalent if working part-time hours). Please discuss the working pattern requirements for the role you are applying for with the hiring manager. Please note that as we continue to embed our hybrid working environment, we remain in a test and learn phase, which means that working arrangements may be subject to change on reasonable notice to ensure we meet the needs of our business.
The primary purpose is to lead validation projects through a team of risk professionals responsible for the Independent Validation of various Strategic, Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML); Random Forest, Gradient Boosted Machines and Deep Neural Networks; Regression, Decision Trees Large Language model (LLM), Natural Language Processing (NLP), etc.
Candidate should provide technical support, review, challenge, and have complete oversight of all validation activities performed by the team, to ensure high quality of model validation and consistency. The role requires a combination of advanced mathematical model development, plus realism and pragmatism to drive model validation in a wide variety of businesses and products.
Ensure existing policy, procedure and standards are followed in each validation project and all control requirements are met.
Lead in creating response to all regulatory or internal audit review regarding validation projects. Identify change requirements based on internal or external review comments and drive the required changes existing procedures and standards.
This role will be part of Group Risk IVU team.
What will you be doing?
Team Management and Project Delivery
• Key Model Validations
o Validate Strategic and Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML) based models as well as strategy models across the bank by following Bank’s policies, procedures, and standards.
o Perform technical analysis, independent tests and/or build alternative benchmarks to new and existing models, in line with the requirements set out in the bank’s policies, procedures, and standards.
• Manage independent review of Strategic, Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML); Random Forest, Gradient Boosted Machines and Deep Neural Networks; Regression, Decision Trees Large Language model (LLM), Natural Language Processing (NLP), etc. that include:
o Technical analysis and/or build alternative benchmarks to new and existing models, in line with the requirements set out in the bank’s standards and policies.
o Research application of new risk methodologies and approaches
• Guide the team to perform technical analysis and reviews of new and existing models, to ensure continual improvement in model methodology.
• Strengthen the models control environment, meeting the requirements various internal and regulatory policies and standards, and leading the delivery of model validation requirements.
• Plan and prioritize projects and resources in discussion with the stakeholders, as per the time, budget, and quality standards.
• Drive process improvement through automation, standardization, centralization, and innovation
• Recruit top quality talent, review performance regularly, communicate strategic developments, set clear objectives, coach, train and develop staff.
• Build effective communication channels to ensure open communication and address any issues/concerns timely.
• Make sure the team is always audit ready and effectively manage all internal and external audits.
What we’re looking for:
• Strong analytical skills with experience developing or validating predictive machine learning models (e.g. Large Language model (LLM), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Random Forests, Gradient Boosted Machines and Deep Neural Networks etc.) on large data sets in in Hadoop/AWS environments using tools such as Python, Spark and MLLib etc.
• Extensive experience in risk modelling and/or analytics across various predictive models as well as Strategies – Fraud, acquisition/underwriting, ECM, pricing, affordability etc.
• Experience in developing/validating the best-in-class tools and models for large financial institutions. Ability to effectively challenge and improve the existing model methodologies and model management process.
• Knowledge of financial services portfolios, regulatory rules and model risk guidelines, e.g., SR 11-7 , SS 1/23, PRA, FRB, macro economics and market /customer trends affecting the business
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Strong analytical background, data driven, results orientated with SAS, R or Python programming knowledge.
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Relevant experience in a modeller/validator role in the financial services industry.
• Team, project, and stakeholder management experience. Proven track record of managing cross functional relationships & delivering credible business analysis.
• Certification in Machine Learning
• Masters in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Operational Research, Engineering, MBA
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Purpose, Values and Mindset
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.