Jun. 23, 2022
COO & Functions
Lead Security Engineer
Knutsford or Glasgow
As a Barclays Lead Security Engineer, you will have the opportunity to join an exciting new venture within the chief security office. As part of the team, you will be responsible for understanding, researching, designing, and developing security solutions for Barclays’ products. This is a new challenge to showcase your expertise in security, you’ll have the chance here to drive the end-to-end integration for our intelligence driven defence strategy.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
What will you be doing?
• You will be responsible for understanding, researching, designing, and developing security solutions with the products Barclays has acquired for consumption as a service
• Developing a strong understanding of security tooling (commercial off-shelf) and support the development team in configuring the tool to meet their requirements
• Driving the vision for various security product and design solutions to meet the user requirements for various range of security tooling e.g. endpoint protection, IDS/IPS, SIEM
• Taking ownership of engineering of technical solutions across security domains, collaborating closely with security engineers and global infrastructure resources
• Designing, developing and delivering product roadmaps to support the evolution of core security services, aligning deliveries to Barclays strategy
What we’re looking for:
• Hands on experience with Microsoft Modern Security tooling for Endpoint, Email, and Cloud
• Excellent overall knowledge of open source and commercial security tooling and integrations.
• Excellent knowledge of security network architectures (e.g. Firewalls, DMZ, proxies, DNS, web and mail servers) and the principles of network
• The ability to think architecturally at ‘big picture’ and able to translate this into practical security implementation
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Previous knowledge/ experience using Python/PowerShell
• Experience in Operating systems specifically Windows
• Proven Knowledge of Agile methods
• Cloud certifications (AWS/Azure)
Where will you be working?
You will be based in Radbroke, Knutsford. The Barclays Technology Campus just outside Manchester is our tech command centre and a vital strategic powerhouse behind our global operations.
Our new state-of-the-art Campus, right in the heart of Glasgow is a hub of creative collaboration A short walk from Central Station on the south of the Clyde, it will be a key location for the Barclays business that will deepen our ties with the city and its communities.
The Barclays Way
This is the spirit of Barclays. It’s why we exist, what we believe and how we behave. But most importantly, it’s how we make decisions, take action and get things done.
We exist to provide responsible finance to people and business – but also a whole lot more.
We believe great talent RISES. It acts with Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We discover our full potential through our desire to Empower, Challenge and Drive each other.
More about working at Barclays
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a Carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.