French Markets Lawyer
London or Paris
As a Barclays French Markets Lawyer, you will oversee transactional and regulatory advisory work together with the French Market business, across all asset classes, including fix income, credit commodities, equity derivatives, cash equity, prime derivative services as well as the distribution of Structured Products in France. In your role, you will have regular exposure to the Market business in France, external law firms, as well as business and infrastructure colleagues both in London and in Europe.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, established in 1690, with a legacy of success, quality, and innovation. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
At Barclays, we offer a hybrid working experience that blends the positives of working alongside colleagues at our onsite locations, together with working from home. We have a structured approach where colleagues work at an onsite location on fixed, ‘anchor’, days of the week, for a minimum of two days a week or more, as set by the business area (or nearest equivalent if working part-time hours). Please discuss the working pattern requirements for the role you are applying for with the hiring manager. Please note that as we continue to embed our hybrid working environment, we remain in a test and learn phase, which means that working arrangements may be subject to change on reasonable notice to ensure we meet the needs of our business.
What will you be doing?
• Advising on and assisting with regulatory change implementation pertaining to the Market business activities (ex: EMIR, BRRD, MIFID, Benchmark regulation, PRIIPS, etc)
• Providing transactional assistance across all asset’s classes such as, fix income, credit commodities, equity derivatives, prime derivative services and structured products
• Drafting and negotiating client agreements, such as structured fix income master, Repos and Stock Lending
• Devising and implementing enhancements to the relevant documentation standards (including templates and precedents) and development of internal policies and standards
• Leading client focused initiatives and projects across the Market Legal team or the European Coverage Legal Team
• Promoting training and education to the Business and Infrastructure teams on topical issues, legal risks, and regulatory developments both in London and in Country, as appropriate
• Assisting the rest of the French Legal team in relation to other Investment Banking activities and products and more generally in relation to the French entity
What we’re looking for:
• French Qualified lawyer with knowledge and experience in market products and relevant financial regulation
• Deep knowledge of the FBF and French ISDA frameworks
• Background in market activities and regulations
• Fluent in French and English language
Skills that will help you in the role:
• A good commercial attitude with a deep interest in the drivers of performance and passion for improving things
• Communicates highly technical qualitative analysis and advice in a clear and concise manner to a legal and non-legal audience, both orally and in writing.
• Willingness to stretch and learn new products and areas of law
Where will you be working?
In the heart of Canary Wharf, our headquarters at Churchill Place boasts onsite amenities such as; a gym, staff restaurant and deli bar, and is easily accessible by tube and bus links. With a population of around 5000 staff the atmosphere is second to none with a real buzz being created around the offices within.
Dating from 1922, Barclays has a long established presence in France. Today, from our office in Paris we provide a full service Investment Bank offering to our local and global clients. Our integrated coverage model means we are able to provide our clients with access to deep expertise across sectors, regions and products. We deliver informed strategic advice, comprehensive financial solutions and risk management services, creating sophisticated strategies customised to meet our clients’ needs.