Legal Advisor - Barclays Investment Management
Date live: Feb. 23, 2021
Reference Code: 90278923
Business Area: COO & Functions
Area of Expertise: Legal
Legal Advisor - Barclays Investment Management
As a Barclays Legal Advisor within BIM you will provide legal and regulatory advice and support in respect of the fund management business and fund structuring activities carried out in the Barclays Investment Managers business (BIM). You will provide advice and support on product structuring, regulatory and governance matters as well as legal and transactional management support across a range of fund products (UCITS / AIFs) and discretionary portfolio mandates (separately managed accounts).
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
What will you be doing?
• Advising BIM on the application and implementation of relevant regulation (UCITS/AIFMD/MiFID II)
• Providing regulatory guidance (issued by ESMA, FCA, CBI, CSSF) in respect of new and existing fund products, including in relation to cross-border marketing and distribution issues
• Reviewing and drafting a broad range of fund-related documentation, including documentation on the offering of fund products, distribution arrangements, sub-advisory
• Drafting documentation relating to trading agreements (such as ISDA / GMRA / GMSLA, collateral arrangements, confirmations and term sheets)
• Reviewing and drafting service provider agreements and marketing materials, where appropriate and, as necessary, with the involvement of external counsel
• Providing senior legal advisory support on legal and regulatory aspects of functional regulatory and strategic change projects applicable to BIM eg ESG/SFDR, Brexit, CBDF
• Acting as senior legal advisory contributor to BIM’s governance processes, notably in respect of internal product approval/amendments and product governance committees
• Coordinating and managing relationships (including costs) primarily with Irish and Luxembourg fund counsel to ensure local regulatory requirements are met
What we’re looking for:
• Qualified English solicitor
• Financial services or asset manager experience
• Ability to work autonomously but with strong interpersonal skills
Skills that will help you in the role:
• An English law qualified solicitor with experience in the financial services sector both from private practice and, preferably, in house at a peer financial institution or asset manager
• Experience of fund structuring; trading strategies and relevant regulation (i.e. UCITS; AIFMD; cross border issues; ESG/SFDR etc.) as well as trading agreements
Where will you be working?
5 North Colonnade is home to our investment bank and is in the heart of Canary Wharf, just a short walk from our headquarters at Churchill Place. It boasts an array of onsite amenities such as dry cleaner as well as a deli and buffet style staff restaurant. The building is easily accessible by tube, docklands light railway and all major bus links. The atmosphere is second to none with a real buzz being created around the offices within.
More about working at Barclays
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Dynamic Working is a flexible approach to working. Dynamic Working empowers each of us to work in a way that suits ours lives, so we can better serve our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer; whether you need study time or ‘me’ time, Dynamic Working is designed to help you balance your life.