Legal Counsel Point of Sale Finance
London or Northampton
As a Barclays Legal Counsel Point of Sale Finance, you will act as an advisor providing expert legal advice on Consumer Banking Products and Service offerings across Barclays UK. Your accountabilities include assisting with strategic business decisions, new product development and advisory business assistance. While the role will have a Point of Sale regulated lending focus, your position is intended to be operative across Barclays UK and CBP Legal, so you’ll potentially support our banking products and wider lending and payments teams.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
At Barclays, we offer a hybrid working experience that blends the positives of working alongside colleagues at our onsite locations, together with working from home. We have a structured approach where colleagues work at an onsite location on fixed, ‘anchor’, days of the week, for a minimum of two days a week or more, as set by the business area (or nearest equivalent if working part-time hours). Please discuss the working pattern requirements for the role you are applying for with the hiring manager. Please note that as we continue to embed our hybrid working environment, we remain in a test and learn phase, which means that working arrangements may be subject to change on reasonable notice to ensure we meet the needs of our business.
What will you be doing?
• Supporting the PoS Finance business in its the development of new propositions and services, including in the digital space and advising on the associated emerging legal risks
• Supporting in delivering customer remediation programmes and regulatory change, including attendance at working groups and relevant business forums
• Drafting, negotiating, and reviewing contractual arrangements including customer facing terms
• Developing clear and concise client friendly documentation for retail customers to customised documentation for bespoke or complex solutions with retail partners
• Acting as an advisor and delivering expert legal advice in relation to the laws and regulations governing unsecured regulated consumer credit products and services
• Providing advice pertaining to launching, changing, remediating, delivering, marketing, servicing, and recovering in respect of unsecured consumer credit products
• Identifying and advising proactively on legal and regulatory risks and escalating these as appropriate to stakeholders and within the Legal Function
• Delivering a consistently excellent legal service that enables the business to deliver on its objectives, whilst effectively managing legal risk and ensuring good outcomes for customers
What we’re looking for:
• Qualified and experienced solicitor or barrister or equivalent overseas qualification with permission to provide legal advice in the UK
• Consumer financial services background either at a law firm or in-house with a financial services organisation, and sensitivity to the issues presented by a retail-facing business
• General knowledge of consumer protection law and FCA policy and the regulatory framework applying to financial services
• Knowledge of law and regulation relating to unsecured consumer credit, like Consumer Credit Act 1974 (as amended) and the FCA Consumer Credit Sourcebook (CONC)
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Experience as an advisor to business and other infrastructure areas
• Able to determine and escalate legal risk issues appropriately
• Good grasp of, and proactively works towards, business objectives
• Adds value in commercial as well as technical discussions
Where will you be working?
In the heart of Canary Wharf, our headquarters at Churchill Place boasts onsite amenities such as; a gym, staff restaurant and deli bar, and is easily accessible by tube and bus links. With a population of around 5000 staff the atmosphere is second to none with a real buzz being created around the offices within.
Northampton was the birthplace of Barclaycard in 1966 and we've been based in Pavilion Drive since the building opened in 1997. This state-of-the art energy efficient building holds up to 2,500 staff. The office location is perfect for travel from the midlands and London alike as we are based just off the A45, it is easily accessible by both car and bus routes.