- About Us
- Business Areas
- Early Careers
You have not viewed any jobs yet.
Date live: Feb. 28, 2023
Business Area: COO & Functions
Area of Expertise: Legal
Reference Code: 90365655
Take a look at the map to see what’s nearby. Train stations & bus stops, gyms, restaurants and more.Explore location
Legal Counsel - Trade and Working Capital
As a Barclays Legal Counsel - Trade and Working Capital, you will be a member of the Trade & Working Capital Legal Team, supporting the Trade & Working Capital business across the bank from an origination, execution, structuring and syndication perspective. For this role, you will also be involved with helping the business implement regulatory change as well as a number of key strategic projects.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognizes and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally are able to request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
• Providing legal advising to the international Trade & Working Capital business teams and the management of legal risk
• Assisting the Head of Trade & Working Capital Legal to implement the strategic objectives of the business, considering the commercial aims, the interests of clients and the legal risks
• Advising on a wide range of trade and working capital products, including letters of credit, guarantees, bonds and indemnities, commodity financing and ESG products, and the like
• Reviewing and negotiating a full range of transaction documentation
• Guiding and managing legal risk on transactions and projects and providing solutions for the business
• Managing and complying with legal governance and controls
• Formulating and delivering training to the business or Legal colleagues on legal, regulatory and market developments
• Producing and updating standard form documents, templates, practice notes and guidelines
What we’re looking for:
• English law qualified Solicitor with thorough knowledge of general banking/finance law
• Currently working in a law firm or an in-house department of a reputable bank focusing on finance transactional work
• Proven track record on a range of general banking work, structured transactions and experience in cross border transactions
• Solid technical legal skills, including ability to draft and negotiate legal documentation to the highest standard and ability to tackle new technical areas without prior experience
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Some specialist expertise and understanding of trade finance or receivables finance is highly preferred
• Experience gained working in-house for a financial institution would be advantageous
• Ability to manage varied workload under pressure and deal with competing priorities
• Exceptional commercial focus and ability to think laterally and good communicator with a solid personal impact and a team player
Where will you be working?
In the heart of Canary Wharf, our headquarters at Churchill Place boasts onsite amenities such as; a gym, staff restaurant and deli bar, and is easily accessible by tube and bus links. With a population of around 5000 staff the atmosphere is second to none with a real buzz being created around the offices within.
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a Carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
This is the spirit of Barclays. It’s why we exist, what we believe and how we behave. But most importantly, it’s how we make decisions, take action and get things done.
We exist to provide responsible finance to people and business – but also a whole lot more.
We believe great talent RISES. It acts with Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We discover our full potential through our desire to Empower, Challenge and Drive each other.