Job Title: Analyst| MOR JML
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally are able to request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances These requests will be reviewed and agreed for a period of time i.e., will have a start and end date.
Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
The role within BI first line of defence responsible for ensuring effective governance is maintained across key customer processes underpinning controls, to strengthen the control environment. This includes providing control business partnership services to the business which allow for targeted control focussed interventions to fix and/or simplify controls and assurance to ensure that customer needs are met by the process every time, so that BI is able to meet its regulatory & compliance commitments. We are looking to hire an Assistant Vice President on a permanent basis in order to support the CCO Markets agenda. The successful candidate is a proven self-starter with the ability to learn complex subject matter quickly, multi-task and adapt to an ever-changing regulatory environment.
What will you be doing?
Understanding and implementing a Supervisory Governance framework that enables Global Markets to achieve its business goals in a demonstrably safe and controlled manner, within the risk appetite of the firm and in compliance with regulations.
Working with business and functions on all aspects of risk and control related activities including but not limited to:
- remediation activities as a result of PRA Trading Controls regulatory requirements and/or internal Assurance identified issues,
- helping to drive control initiatives globally to ensure the business is effectively managing all of its operational and conduct risks.
Working with business and functions to compile reports or required data on the status of Governance for the business line control meetings, and regulatory enquiries
Helping to build an end-to-end trading supervision system for the Global Markets business improving architecture & design, user experience, connect-the-dots capabilities by processes, procedures, risks, in accordance with regulations and the Barclays Control Framework.
Helping to ensure the business has the capability to identify, design and implement appropriate business controls and testing and quality assurance that ensures risks are flagged and highlighted proactively and providing expert technical advice and insight to support.
Helping with thematic control remediation programmes and to assist in the coordination and completion of remediation activities.
Engaging with the global CCO Control Business Partners, Business Management, Supervisors and other Key Stakeholders to provide regular feedback on control initiatives
Ensure timely delivery of controls, assess effectiveness of controls and also maintain the supervisory controls tool
Generate periodic MI reports to be submitted to the onshore supervision stakeholders
Conduct supervisory trainings for new supervisors to explain them of their supervisory responsibilities
Develop, implement and maintain an efficient and effective supervision control framework. Review & provide resolution for escalation raised by Supervisors, along with providing the sign-off rates to various governance forums
Preparing Business specific WSP manuals, along with providing relevant information to Regulators/Compliance & Audit teams
Managing Joiner, movers and leavers and their supervisory structure, along with initiating JML Checklist emails to relevant Business & Line Manager for Markets & Reserach
What we’re looking for:
• Highly organised, with ability to prioritise and work under pressure, delivering to tight deadlines and multiple demands across a ‘matrix’ organisation.
• The role holder will have a high degree of decision-making authority, and needs to demonstrate ability to influence upwards.
• Collaborative and able to share best practice at all levels.
• Experience in a relevant environment that demonstrates the skill of implementing new frameworks and processes that are innovative and enablers of growth.
• Mindset of using technology to best advantage to minimise manual tasks and improve quality of information
• Experience in a control, governance or oversight function.
• Track record of managing multiple stakeholders with different needs.
• Superior analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Ability to influence and negotiate across all areas and levels of the organisation.
• Pragmatic, able to share information, transfer knowledge and expertise to team members.
• Can-do attitude and has experience in delivering change within agreed deadlines.
• Previous experience in working in a control function is ideal but not essential.
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Extensive proven experience in Operational Risk and Controls
• Able to demonstrate experience of coordinating and supporting Stakeholders
• Experience of working on the design and implementation of controls improvement initiatives.
• Practical experience of Risk and Control governance activities including Risk and Control Self Assessment (RCSA) or other risk and control environment assessments
• Experience of reviewing of policy & standards, preparing gap analysis and delivering actions to complete
• MBA degree in Finance or other equivalent qualifications
• 3+ years experience in MS Excel, MS Access
• Ability to work independently on multiple projects/reports simultaneously
• Analytical skills
• Eye for detail (access to large databases)
• Knowledge in investment banking/capital markets
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
• Working knowledge and practical experience of the regulations and standards of relevant industry bodies and organisations.
• Experience of working with other Control and three lines of defence teams to share ideas, best practices and ensure consistency of experience across Businesses and Risks
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Purpose, Values and Mindset
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.