Innovation and Research Lead
Northampton or Glasgow
As a Barclays Innovation and Research Lead, you will join us at an exciting time of growth in our Transformation team. You will develop opportunities in line with the Business Strategy, taking them through proof of concept, recommendation and into Business Case where value is identified. This will be the ideal role for you if you have exception experience in developing Operations and Technology Strategy and excellent leadership and influencing skills
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life.
If you would like some flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally are able to request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances
Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
• Acting as the lead for innovation for Consumer Banking and Payments COO, working with leadership and key stakeholders in the Businesses, Operations and Technology
• Developing a framework to introduce innovative solutions into how we deliver services to our Customers, Colleagues and Partners
• Ensuring a firm understanding of the overall Consumer Banking and Payments Global Businesses and strategies to identify and tailor opportunities and recommendations
• Developing and maintaining network, both internal and external to Barclays, to support and develop Innovation agenda
• Establishing and managing relationships with stakeholders at senior and exec levels, providing regular recommendations and insights into Consumer Banking and Payments
• Identifying and piloting innovative solutions to address key problems identified across Consumer Banking and Payments COO
• Demonstrating a deep understanding of banking process, including the associated business processes and dependencies on technology, people and third party service providers
What we’re looking for:
• Strategic Planning experience, including Management experience, or equivalent experience e.g work experience, training, military experience, education
• Exception management experience
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Operations and Technology Background across multiple industries
• Desire to work in a fast-paced environment. High energy, high level of commitment.
Where will you be working?
Northampton was the birthplace of Barclaycard in 1966 and we've been based in Pavilion Drive since the building opened in 1997.
We purchased the building from the landlord in early 2018 as a sign of our commitment to investment in Northampton. Plans to further develop this Campus-style location are under way to allow for a real collaborative work environment. Based just off the A45 it is easily accessible by both car and bus routes.