Legal Counsel - Payments
As a Barclays Legal Counsel-Payments, you will support Barclays Payments business lines, key payments product areas across the Barclays franchise, the implementation of new regulatory obligations, including strong customer authentication and open banking. You will also support product development based on existing payments capabilities, leveraging innovation in payments, including open banking, significant commercial arrangements with payments schemes, strategic business and technology partners.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognizes and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month, or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally can request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances. Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
• Supporting Barclays Group General Counsel, Barclays Consumer Banking and Payments General Counsel, identifying and managing legal and regulatory risk in the Barclays Payments businesses
• Ensuring that the legal function adds value to its stakeholders, giving a high class and consistent service in a dynamic operating environment
• Supporting the implementation of new regulatory obligations
• Driving efficiencies and consistent practices
• Ensuring all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise-Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies
• Working with internal product, sales and commercial colleagues and group legal specialists such as IP, DP, CIT, litigation, competition and the CLT
• Working collaboratively with colleagues across Barclays, in various different business areas and control functions is a key requirement for this position
What we’re looking for:
• Ability to manage projects to close, track against milestones
• Have mutual respect with other stakeholders, and ablility to work cross functionally in a collegiate manner, willing to support important projects led by other functions
• Willing to support multiple business units seamlessly
• Manage competing priorities with an ability to work effectively within time, resource and budget constraints
Skills that will help you in the role
• Commercially astute but aware of regulatory and conduct issues, confident in advising on key risk issues and mitigants and help the businesses make decisions.
• Interested in technological developments
Where will you be working?
Northampton was the birthplace of Barclaycard in 1966 and we've been based in Pavilion Drive since the building opened in 1997. We purchased the building from the landlord in early 2018 as a sign of our commitment to investment in Northampton. Plans to further develop this Campus-style location are under way to allow for a real collaborative work environment. Based just off the A45 it is easily accessible by both car and bus routes.