Legal Counsel Unsecured Regulated Lending
Northampton or Manchester
As a Barclays Legal Counsel Unsecured Regulated Lending, you will be taking on a fantastic opportunity to join a proactive, highly regarded and supportive team to learn about and work on a range of unsecured consumer lending products including Barclaycard, Barclayloan and overdrafts. The Unsecured Regulated Lending legal team provides end-to-end product advice.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
At Barclays, we offer a hybrid working experience that blends the positives of working alongside colleagues at our onsite locations, together with working from home. We have a structured approach where colleagues work at an onsite location on fixed, ‘anchor’, days of the week, for a minimum of two days a week or more, as set by the business area (or nearest equivalent if working part-time hours). Please discuss the working pattern requirements for the role you are applying for with the hiring manager. Please note that as we continue to embed our hybrid working environment, we remain in a test and learn phase, which means that working arrangements may be subject to change on reasonable notice to ensure we meet the needs of our business.
What will you be doing?
• Providing consistently excellent, pragmatic and commercial legal advice with appropriate supervision and support from line manager or team member
• Acting as a trusted and proactive advisor to stakeholders on compliance with applicable laws and regulations like the consequences of breach; applying a risk and control mindset
• Understanding the complex and translating it into simple and practical advice our stakeholders can understand
• Partnering with the business as they continue to drive forward the banks transformation and development of innovative digital solutions
• Being passionate about delivering strategic business plans balanced against legal and other risks going beyond what is asked; thinking around a situation to help find solutions
• Being part of a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace and being accountable for their responsibilities in promoting a supportive culture
What we’re looking for:
• A Qualified lawyer - CILEX, solicitor or barrister with solid communication and influencing skills
• Experience within a financial institution/private practice law firm working with unsecured lending
• A tenacious and delivery focussed individual who can act on their own initiative and has worked as part of a project team taking ownership for their own deliverables
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Familiarity with Consumer credit law and regulation including the Consumer Credit Sourcebook
• Knowledge of Payment services law and regulation
• Expertise in Consumer protection law
• Experience in Regulated activities
Where will you be working?
Northampton was the birthplace of Barclaycard in 1966 and we've been based in Pavilion Drive since the building opened in 1997. This state-of-the art energy efficient building holds up to 2,500 staff. The office location is perfect for travel from the midlands and London alike as we are based just off the A45, it is easily accessible by both car and bus routes.
Based in our Manchester office, which is in the heart of the city centre. Offering a modern working environment, with restaurants, bars and gyms just a stone’s throw away from the office.