Date live: 01/21/2021
Reference Code: 90274852
Business Area: COO & Functions
Area of Expertise: Technology
Northampton or Glasgow
As a Barclays Senior Developer you will be working as part of our Risk, Finance & Treasury (RFT) function, implementing Extract, Transform Load (ETL) processes using Ab Initio to model output data in our Global Data Platforms to support Empirical models reporting requirements. You will be hands on with designing and implementing Ab Initio ETL solutions in an agile fashion, whilst looking to optimize and automate execution steps where applicable to reduce processing and execution time.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
This opportunity is open to dynamic working arrangements. Such as working from home, flexible or compressed hours, and part-time options. If you have a need for flexibility, please apply and discuss this with us during the hiring process.
What will you be doing?
• Working on technical design, development & delivery of ETL solutions using Ab Initio
• Understanding the overall purpose of the project and contributing in design, development, testing and maintenance
• Providing guidance for Design and Build in Implementation of ETL projects
• Getting involved in test phases and working towards early resolution of defects and ensuring permanent fix
• Understanding Business requirement and involvement in design discussions
• Working with the stakeholders to evaluate data requirements, and proposing optimal solutions and delivery approaches that meet those requirements
• Conducting code reviews across projects, taking responsibility for ensuring that build and code adhere to architectural and quality standards and policies
• Assisting Delivery Manager in managing expectation of the stakeholders and providing regular status updates
What we’re looking for:
• Excellent grasp of all components of Ab Initio – GDE, PSETS, PDL Programming, Meta Programming and usage of Conduct>IT (Plans)
• Knowledge of Ab Initio air commands, m commands and Unix shell scripting
• Knowledge of data warehousing concepts & expert knowledge of Hadoop commands, components to read/write data to HDFS
• Excellent work attitude, with a focus on detail and delivery of the highest quality product under tight time pressure
Skills that will help you in the role:
• General understanding of Risk/Finance/Treasury background
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience using Informatica
• Independence and creativity in approach to problems and issues; assertive, tenacious and proactive attitude
Where will you be working?
Northampton was the birthplace of Barclaycard in 1966 and we've been based in Pavilion Drive since the building opened in 1997.
We purchased the building from the landlord in early 2018 as a sign of our commitment to investment in Northampton. Plans to further develop this Campus-style location are under way to allow for a real collaborative work environment. Based just off the A45 it is easily accessible by both car and bus routes.
What you get in return
However high you rise at Barclays, we believe all our employees should receive a competitive package of core benefits flexible to you and your family’s needs. At Barclays, you’ll support our customers and clients, and we’ll support you with rewards that will genuinely make a difference.
Competitive holiday allowance
Private medical care
To be successful in Barclays Technology, there are a few things we look for. Creativity, curiosity, and an excitement of what we can offer, and what you can do here.
We really love to code. And we love to make that code work for our millions of global customers. Built in a way that makes life simpler. For you, that means reinventing what money means to the world. It means going that step further to develop something that can handle millions of trades or millions of transactions a day. It’s a big responsibility. Are you ready to rethink your future?
Barclays workforce of the future
Financial services is going through a massive transformation, and here at Barclays we’re leading the way. People are our greatest asset. And that’s why we give our colleagues the opportunity and space to explore their ideas, and innovate on a global scale.
Find out more about what our leaders think the Barclays workforce of the future will look like.
"Working here makes me feel supported, valued, recognised, appreciated and has given me plenty of opportunities to grow."
ETL Developer in Market Risk, Glasgow
"Barclays is a great place to work because the teams here have a very positive energy to them. There is a lot of camaraderie and team spirit here."
Engineering Lead, Fraud Detection, Whippany
"One of my favourite things about working for Barclays is the freedom to explore different technical solutions to a variety of problems. It's a great way of expanding my knowledge and keeps me on my toes!"
Java Developer, Glasgow
"I’m really pleased with the work I’ve done so far. Because Barclays relies on technology to provide services that are so important to millions of people, we value quality over quantity, especially in software design."
Wolf Team, Prague
More about working at Barclays
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Dynamic Working is a flexible approach to working. Dynamic Working empowers each of us to work in a way that suits ours lives, so we can better serve our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer; whether you need study time or ‘me’ time, Dynamic Working is designed to help you balance your life.
You have not saved any jobs yet
You have not viewed any jobs yet