Customer Service Overview
Our customer service colleagues are at the forefront of our obsession with customers - and right now our customers need us more than ever. They need colleagues who are understanding, committed, and take ownership of their development. Because when our colleagues are learning, they can adapt to our customers changing needs and support them when they need us the most - from life's little moments to the big ones.
May. 10, 2022
COO & Functions
Relationship Management / Sales
Job: Customer Service Associate
Salary: £23,500 per annum + Excellent Benefits
Shifts: Monday – Sunday – 7am to 11pm
As a Barclays Technical Customer Service Associate you will take ownership of an exceptional customer and client experience and strengthen relationships by effectively engaging with customers and clients on their terms within a multi-channel environment. The role will investigate emotive and complex technical customer and client queries, concerns and complaints. Working proactively and collaboratively with other colleagues across the Barclays Group, you will deliver great customer outcomes to create advocates of Barclays.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
What will you be doing?
• Connecting emotionally with customers / clients to engage in their story & by being passionate about what their passionate about, creating moments that matter
• Interacting with customers / clients, in an engaging way that demonstrates open-mindedness, actively listening/being genuinely curious, flexing your style to reflect customer
• Investigating customer / client queries, concerns & complaints whilst withholding judgement, using conversation cycle & role modelling mutual respect
• Embracing the freedom to identify and agree the right solution for the customer / client, using your ability and your licence to wow
• Thinking and acting customer, involving customers / clients in determining outcomes that are best for them, understanding their short, medium and long term needs
• Investigating technical and complex customer /client queries concerns and complaints on a range of products/journeys such as Fraud, Mortgages, Stockbrokers.
• Taking ownership of technical and complex customer complaints and those where litigation may commence and respond to external stakeholders
• Supporting leaders with high profile and complex/technical customer scenarios where the business is struggling to find solutions, through collaboration across group colleagues
• Ensuring the voice of the customer / client is always heard by actively identifying root causes of customer / client concerns and complaints and capturing accurate information
What we’re looking for:
• Ability to balance different viewpoints, customer / client insight and policies to reach the right customer and Bank outcome
• Excellent planning and organisational skills with a strong attention to detail in preparing for each contact and approaching each investigation using own judgement to balance with pace
• Strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing, to deliver positive impactful communication needed to gather information and clarify circumstances
• Ability to take the heat out of challenging situations, remaining in control and empathetic to move the conversation on and find common areas of agreement
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Excellent team player, supporting a culture of individuality, fun, and the sharing and embedding of best practice
• Ability to work individually and under pressure
• Experience in delivering exceptional customer / client interactions in a professional and caring manner
• Natural empathiser with the willingness and ability to understand others point of view and to build rapport with customers /clients
Where will you be working?
Northampton was the birthplace of Barclaycard in 1966 and we've been based in Pavilion Drive since the building opened in 1997. This state-of-the art energy efficient building holds up to 2,500 staff. The office location is perfect for travel from the midlands and London alike as we are based just off the A45, it is easily accessible by both car and bus routes.
What you get in return
However high you rise at Barclays, we believe all our employees should receive a competitive package of core benefits flexible to you and your family’s needs. At Barclays, you’ll support our customers and clients, and we’ll support you with rewards that will genuinely make a difference.
Do you have what it takes to join our contact centre team?
We're looking for people with these key traits.
Is this role right for you?
Deciding on your next career step is a big decision, why not take our quiz to find out if this opportunity is right for you?Take our quiz
The Barclays Way
This is the spirit of Barclays. It’s why we exist, what we believe and how we behave. But most importantly, it’s how we make decisions, take action and get things done.
We exist to provide responsible finance to people and business – but also a whole lot more.
We believe great talent RISES. It acts with Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We discover our full potential through our desire to Empower, Challenge and Drive each other.
So I'd say expect the unexpected - it's brilliant and every day is different. You need to be adaptable and resilient.
Customer Care Team Lead, Sunderland Contact Centre
We believe in taking ownership, it's a big piece of our community - there's always opportunity to champion initiatives or projects when they come up. If you can see a need for something, if you've picked up on something that could be changed, revolutionise the way we do something, or make it more efficient, everyone's really open to those ideas.
Customer Care, Sunderland Contact Centre
If I'm starting a conversation with a customer, in an ideal world, I'll finish it - whether that's a complaint, an application, or trying to help them change their details online, we'll be there from start to finish.
Customer Care, Sunderland Contact Centre
More about working at Barclays
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a Carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.