Jun. 10, 2021
COO & Functions
Development and Engineering at Barclays
In Barclays Technology, we build solutions that make life simple for our customers. Solutions that are global, agile and smart. As a part of our team, you’ll recode and reimagine, learn and adapt. Rewire what the world needs, and look ahead. This is where you can be at your best. Where you can redefine the future of finance.
As a Barclays Variance Developer, you will actively contribute to various projects spanning across critical technical deliveries, regulatory projects and platform enhancements. You will be collaborating closely with the Developers, Business Analysts, Architects and Project Managers across all regions and business clusters to deliver robust design and technical solutions in a controlled, transparent and actively risk managed fashion.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
What will you be doing?
• Analysing new requirements to find the most appropriate technical solution and contribute to the overall system design
• Working on all aspects of analysis, design, implementation and deployment of all software, related to the core data applications
• Taking responsibility and ownership of new feature development
• Focusing on good code quality and high test coverage and actively participating in code reviews
• Designing and implement applications and data flows, for accuracy, timeliness, quality and control
• Contributing to the delivery of complex projects in collaboration with global teams across Barclays, to develop new or enhance existing systems
• Set-upping and managing development meetings with application leads and business unit users
• Producing various management information reports showing trend analysis
What we’re looking for:
• Excellent knowledge of C# and .NET framework, and experience with source control systems (e.g Git), CI Tools, Issue-Tracking systems and Agile methodologies
• Experience with F#, Scala or other functional-first languages and/ or interest in mastering functional programming in F#
• Proven experience in writing Unit/ Integration tests
• Knowledge of MongoDb or other NoSql databases
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Excellent communication skills - including the ability to convey information to non-technical colleagues in a concise and clear way
• Good stakeholder management, ability to communicate at all levels and build sustainable relationships
• Problem solving mind-set, ability to work within a high performing team and contribute to overall objectives/ best practice
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task in a highly pressurized support environment
Where will you be working?
Our Prague office is part of the Operations and Technology Division, and as such, we try our best to stay at the top of our technological game. However, the technology itself is not the most important thing. What matters the most to us is the way our ingenuity can help provide better service to our customers and make life easier for our employees.
To be successful in Barclays Technology, there are a few things we look for. Creativity, curiosity, and an excitement of what we can offer, and what you can do here.
Languages and Technologies
We really love to code. And we love to make that code work for our millions of global customers. Built in a way that makes life simpler. For you, that means reinventing what money means to the world. It means going that step further to develop something that can handle millions of trades or millions of transactions a day. It’s a big responsibility. Are you ready to rethink your future?
Where do you want to take your tech career?
Financial services is going through a massive transformation, and here at Barclays we’re leading the way. People are our greatest asset. And that’s why we give our colleagues the opportunity and space to explore their ideas, and innovate on a global scale.
Find out more about what our leaders think the Barclays workforce of the future will look like.
What you get in return
However high you rise at Barclays, we believe all our employees should receive a competitive package of core benefits flexible to you and your family’s needs. At Barclays, you’ll support our customers and clients, and we’ll support you with rewards that will genuinely make a difference.
Working here makes me feel supported, valued, recognised, appreciated and has given me plenty of opportunities to grow.
ETL Developer in Market Risk, Glasgow
Barclays is a great place to work because the teams here have a very positive energy to them. There is a lot of camaraderie and team spirit here.
Engineering Lead, Fraud Detection, Whippany
One of my favourite things about working for Barclays is the freedom to explore different technical solutions to a variety of problems. It's a great way of expanding my knowledge and keeps me on my toes!
Java Developer, Glasgow
I’m really pleased with the work I’ve done so far. Because Barclays relies on technology to provide services that are so important to millions of people, we value quality over quantity, especially in software design.
Wolf Team, Prague
More about working at Barclays
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Dynamic Working is a flexible approach to working. Dynamic Working empowers each of us to work in a way that suits ours lives, so we can better serve our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer; whether you need study time or ‘me’ time, Dynamic Working is designed to help you balance your life.