Jun. 11, 2021
COO & Functions
In Barclays Technology, we build solutions that make life simple for our customers. Solutions that are global, agile and smart. As a part of our team, you'll recode and reimagine, learn and adapt. Rewire what the world needs, and look ahead. This is where you can be at your best. Where you can redefine the future of finance.
Lead Java Engineer for various MCAs developed for various services in BUK
- Understand the various phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Undertake impact assessment of change requests against applications / products within domain.
- Create/Review component designs & builds to ensure compatibility with the end-to-end system design.
- Create/Review test strategies to guarantee the quality of the delivered system, assist in the diagnosis of system problems encountered during testing.
- Collaborate with other component design and build teams, ensuring that end-to-end system design is followed.
- Ensure that technical engineering quality standards / benchmarks are met, taking remedial action where there are quality shortfalls.
- Complete technically-complex assignment work to budget, time and quality requirements.
- Document all work in accordance with agreed standards, and with re-use in mind.
- Where system development is part of a wider set of interdependent systems changes, collaborate with the Systems Designers from the other areas to ensure end-to-end technical integrity of the development, leading this collaboration when required.
- Identify development needs of staff in the system engineering component team and assist them in addressing their development needs through guidance and coaching.
- Contribute to operational objectives of wider team and support any organisational transformation initiatives.
- Evaluate and review emerging system engineering methods, tools and standards. Look for ways to apply as appropriate.
- Identify own development needs and proactively drive development of own capability, using all available means, to achieve world class standards.
- End-to-end software development lifecycle
- Software development methodologies, e.g. waterfall, agile
- Awareness of leading-edge tools, techniques and services within IT
- Software development consisting of some of the following languages and technologies:
- J2EE Frameworks (Spring, Hibernate)
- Databases (Oracle / DB2 / SQL / IMS DEDB )
- Webservices / knowledge of WSDL – SOAP & REST
- JQuery / HTML5 / CSS
- XML & XML Java Parsers (xsd, dtd)
- Application servers (Websphere, Weblogic, JBoss, Tomcat)
- Version Control Software (Clearcase / SVN / CVS / Git)
- Responsible for interacting with staff across the Business and IT functions including but not limited to:
- IT Architects
- Service Managers
- Technology Project Managers
- Business Change Managers
- SI Partners and 3rd parties
- Provide input to the Product/Project Manager(s) to help identify and engage the engineering resources needed to ensure the success of the project.
- Provide input to the technical development approach of a project, balancing cost, time, quality and risk.
- Assist in the identification, management and resolution of technical Risks, Assumptions, Issues and Dependencies (RAIDs).
Assist Product/Project Manager(s) in controlling projects and reporting progress, providing input from a technology perspective.
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. Our values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our colleagues. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our dynamic working options for colleagues. If you have a need for flexibility, then please discuss this with us.
To be successful in Barclays Technology, there are a few things we look for. Creativity, curiosity, and an excitement of what we can offer, and what you can do here.
We are continually investing in the technology powering our business. This means rebuilding and reinventing our systems to make them fit for a world-class future. It means developing systems that help us support and protect the global economy. It means anticipating the future and taking Barclays forward as a technology-led business. We are building a team of the most perceptive and talented tech analysts, engineers and developers fluent in the most current languages to deliver all of this, and more.
Where do you want to take your tech career?
Financial services is going through a massive transformation, and here at Barclays we’re leading the way. People are our greatest asset. And that’s why we give our colleagues the opportunity and space to explore their ideas, and innovate on a global scale.
Find out more about what our leaders think the Barclays workforce of the future will look like.
What you get in return
However high you rise at Barclays, we believe all our employees should receive a competitive package of core benefits flexible to you and your family’s needs. At Barclays, you’ll support our customers and clients, and we’ll support you with rewards that will genuinely make a difference.
I find that the work/life balance in my current role allows me to be more productive and flexible, to ensure my personal and professional ‘lives’ have the attention they need.
Head of Client Management Application Support – Whippany, New Jersey
Barclays technology has a crucial role to play and I have relished the opportunity to be involved in game-changing tech programmes.
Business Banking and BFA Chief Information Officer – Radbroke, Knutsford
The great thing about Barclays is that I get to work on great technological pieces, while seeing the effect they have on this important business.
Electronic Trading Technology – Prague, Czech Republic
Barclays’ strong values of Service and Excellence are very much evident in the work we do. Our exciting tech solutions have improved customer and colleague experiences, and added huge value to the bank.
Delivery Manager and Business Analyst – Pune, India
More about working at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Dynamic Working is a flexible approach to working. Dynamic Working empowers each of us to work in a way that suits ours lives, so we can better serve our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer; whether you need study time or ‘me’ time, Dynamic Working is designed to help you balance your life.