Job Title: Business Manager
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life.
If you would like some flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally are able to request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances These requests will be reviewed and agreed for a period of time i.e., will have a start and end date.
Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
AVP to support the CSO business management team. This includes workforce reporting, financial management and process re-engineering. The role and responsibilities include, but are not limited to;
• Support the Business Manager in delivering the day to day agenda for the AE Working alongside the Workforce COE, providing a full set of forward looking and insightful projections (MTP), Outlook, Transfers, scenario analytics & SI portfolio affordability shape
• Insights & Strategy Alignment: Location strategy support, Hiring approvals, Vacancy review & challenge
• Working with other key function partners on behalf of the Business Manager and act as delegate where required
• Providing strategic support to the Business Manager on activities such as QBRs, MBRs, TC Weekly’s, Monthly offsite facilitation, D&I people pillar, Service Management, SI portfolio management, Vendor support, ensuring COE partners provide services as required
• Supporting capacity creation, cost allocation understanding and risks & opportunities management
• Support to the Business Manager in providing a high quality, consistent and standardised offering across the function
• Working in partnership with the Finance BP to ensure full alignment and ownership of the “numbers”
• Work with other key function partners on behalf of the Business Manager and act as delegate where required
• Partnering with MI Teams to deliver an overview of Operational Metrics on behalf of AE
What will you be doing?
• Support Business manager with providing insights & commentary of current & Outlook workforce reporting (including Capacity Creation) with clear linkages to drivers (inc. weekly & QBR)
• Act as Transaction Cycle support to the annual planning cycle and regular RAF cycles including:
o Supporting the build of the annual plan from a workforce perspective
o Provide insights on how business strategy drives the future plan
• Ensure best in class, efficient and robust controls are in place and maintained
• Provide commercial insights of Workforce MI against plan and tracking against Location and WF Strategy (inc. weekly & QBR)
• Provide project insights including WF, Cost, fully loaded services costs, managed and consumed
• Support Business manager on engagement with AEs on current resource position and then help drive the resource strategy implementation (Payroll Mix, EOY targets, location reduction and increases in strategic hubs, Diversity, Talent, Succession Planning, Furloughs, HDR, Insourcing, vendor analysis etc. to drive accountability
• Support the Transaction Cycle Operating model design across the Transaction Cycle/ Business. (inc. working alongside HR and Business with Spans and Layers / Taxonomy activity etc.
• Manage vacancies / hiring plans based on locations / aging / affordability etc.
Governance & Control
• Support the Head of Finance & Business Management in delivering to the Transaction Cycle or Function lead ensuring compliance to the group wide governance and control framework, including:
o Manage governance calendar and cadence, including agendas, papers, reviews, meetings’
o Delivery around the requirements for external Governance Forums (Council, COO ExCo, Group ExCo,Board etc.) and maintenance of all SMR documentation if applicable
o Supporting the Business framework across key pillars (Org Design, Governance Structures, Process & Controls)
o Validation and pre-approval of Vendor Spend Business cases & contract reviews
o Pre EXCO Cost Approvals in line with strategy & affordability (Hiring, Vendor / DCP, Resourcing related costs, Travel etc)
o Programme Interlocks (Location, Capacity creation, Workforce & Budget Transfers)
What we’re looking for:
• Significant experience in Business Management, Workforce Management or Strategy and Governance functions, with an excellent understanding of working with leaders on a day-to-day basis.
• Degree qualification (or equivalent experience)
• Experience in operating in a multi-geographic, matrix organisation a plus, with proven ability to balance commercial, client, and regulatory needs across businesses and geographies
• Attention to detail and strong organisational skills
• Expert user of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Ability to balance multiple critical requests from various stakeholders and prioritise in the right order
• Ability to drive and execute deliverables in short time frames and work with limited supervision and able to thrive in a challenging and ever changing environment
• Ability to develop and maintain constructive relationships with internal stakeholders across all levels and geographies of the organization.
• Strong Communication skills across a variety of forums and mediums. Proven ability to distil information into key messages and deliver succinctly according to audience
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Purpose, Values and Mindset
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our flexible working options for colleagues. If you have a need for flexibility, then please discuss this with us.