Date live: 11/20/2020
Reference Code: 90273395
Business Area: COO & Functions
Area of Expertise: Technology
Job Title:Lead Engineer
As a Lead Backend Engineer at Barclays you will design and implement secured software solutions for server side components and databases using modern languages and technologies. You will work closely with colleagues to rapidly iterate requirements producing production strength scalable and resilient software which will be used by millions of customers.
- Provide Technical leadership across technology choices and lead and mentor best practices.
- Promote and drive innovation by actively advocating new tools, processes and technical developments to drive continuous development, you should be up to date with current industry approaches and strategies.
- Produce clean efficient code based on specifications.
- Develop components from UI to back end using modern languages and techniques.
- Provide technical support on non functional testing, especially, performance engineering covering triage
- Collaborate with team members on best practices.
- Promoting effective cloud-based approaches.
- Embrace agile methodologies to rapidly iterate solutions.
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development.
- Passionate about customer focus, with the understanding of business impact to drive system improvements.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership (25%)
- Promote and drive stewardship and application best practices within the development team
- Strong knowledge of emerging software development methods, tools and standards and actively keep this knowledge current.
- Champion innovation by recognising newly arising opportunities for improving customer satisfaction, achieving technical excellence and improving the delivery of a software product.
- Identify own and others development needs and seek opportunities to address these needs through guidance, coaching and formal training.
- Ability to be able to provide succinct details in written format and verbally to Stakeholders
- Possess strong understanding of Computer Science fundamentals, Object Oriented Design and Data Structures
- 8-12 years of proven expertise in building cloud scale distributed, teir-1 systems (high level design, low level design, design patterns)
- Experience in writing high quality, readable, reusable, testable code.
- Experience in automating process of building, packaging and deploying software on to the platform using industry standard devops toolset
- Skilled in Test Driven Development, Continuous Delivery, Pair programming and System integration.
- Working knowledge of containerisation technologies.
- Experience in designing and implementing security checks in the system.
- Good command on the Java programming language. Strong experience in using Spring Framework
- Experience in using Open Source or 3rd Party Libraries such as Log4j, Hibernate, Liquibase erc.
- Good command on service patterns and protocols covering Web Services, API, REST, RPC. Experience of using API test frameworks
- Profiencieny with messaging systems covering RabbitMQ, Kafka & Mule.
- Knowledge RDBMS development (e.g. Oracle) & SQL skills . Experience in atleast 1 NOSQL DB such as MongodDB
- Profeciency in DevOps and Agile style of Software Development with knowledge of tools such as SonarQube, Jenkins, Jprofiler, Maven etc.
Skills that will help you in the Role:
Prior experience on AWS Stack would be an added advantage
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. Our values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our colleagues. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our dynamic working options for colleagues. If you have a need for flexibility, then please discuss this with us.
What you get in return
However high you rise at Barclays, we believe all our employees should receive a competitive package of core benefits flexible to you and your family’s needs. At Barclays, you’ll support our customers and clients, and we’ll support you with rewards that will genuinely make a difference.
Competitive holiday allowance
Private medical care
To be successful in Barclays Technology, there are a few things we look for. Creativity, curiosity, and an excitement of what we can offer, and what you can do here.
We are continually investing in the technology powering our business. This means rebuilding and reinventing our systems to make them fit for a world-class future. It means developing systems that help us support and protect the global economy. It means anticipating the future and taking Barclays forward as a technology-led business. We are building a team of the most perceptive and talented tech analysts, engineers and developers fluent in the most current languages to deliver all of this, and more.
Where do you want to take your tech career?
Financial services is going through a massive transformation, and here at Barclays we’re leading the way. Our size, scale and significance mean we’re fundamental to the way the world works, and technology is crucial to our effectiveness.
Size, stability, agility, ambition and impact. Find it all and more at Barclays Technology.
"I find that the work/life balance in my current role allows me to be more productive and flexible, to ensure my personal and professional ‘lives’ have the attention they need."
Head of Client Management Application Support – Whippany, New Jersey
"Barclays technology has a crucial role to play and I have relished the opportunity to be involved in game-changing tech programmes."
Business Banking and BFA Chief Information Officer – Radbroke, Knutsford
"The great thing about Barclays is that I get to work on great technological pieces, while seeing the effect they have on this important business."
Electronic Trading Technology – Prague, Czech Republic
"Barclays’ strong values of Service and Excellence are very much evident in the work we do. Our exciting tech solutions have improved customer and colleague experiences, and added huge value to the bank."
Delivery Manager and Business Analyst – Pune, India
More about working at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Wherever we are in Barclays, whatever we do, we are united and guided by one common purpose: creating opportunities to rise. Because we know that when we help our customers, clients, colleagues and society to rise, Barclays will rise with them.
Our values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship are fundamental to who we are, and they really matter. They have always shaped the way we’ve done things, and they will always shape the way we work and live, now and in the future.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Dynamic Working is a flexible approach to working. Dynamic Working empowers each of us to work in a way that suits ours lives, so we can better serve our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer; whether you need study time or ‘me’ time, Dynamic Working is designed to help you balance your life.
You have not saved any jobs yet
You have not viewed any jobs yet