Jun. 11, 2021
COO & Functions
Development and Engineering at Barclays
In Barclays Technology, we build solutions that make life simple for our customers. Solutions that are global, agile and smart. As a part of our team, you’ll recode and reimagine, learn and adapt. Rewire what the world needs, and look ahead. This is where you can be at your best. Where you can redefine the future of finance.
Job Title:SP - Senior Developer
A Java developer is required to assist with extensions to the Fixed Income trade capture and workflow systems in order to support the Fixed Income business. Strong communication skills and an understanding of fixed income products and pricing will allow this developer to interface effectively with business analysts and understand the enhancements required to bring new markets onto this platform. Experience with developing in front office trading systems and the software development processes used by large teams is preferred. Given the wide range of systems and technologies in use by fixed income, the candidate must be able to quickly understand existing systems and make extensions in a way that limits regression impact. The candidate will be expected to work autonomously and have experience working on large globally distributed teams
What will you be doing?
- Deliver new features and fix issues within the platform
- Performing code reviews with Peers
- Provide rota based 3rd line support for TCC services
- Engage with Business Analysts on project work, and directly with users on Minor Works
- Stakeholder management and guidance to other members of team.
- Decision making and problem solving for production issues
- Risk and Control: All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
- Identify proactive remedial strategies to prevent future system problems and to improve the quality of delivered systems.
- Document all work in accordance with agreed standards, and with re-use in mind.
- Accountable for closure of any design related queries/issues
- Takes responsibility for architectural adherence, quality standards and policies
- Deliver new features and fix issues within the platform
- Performing code reviews to meet highest standards
What we’re looking for:
- Strong core Java background with completely hands on experience on complex systems written in Java
- Strong knowledge of XML structures, navigation, validation and transformation
- Experience with web services and multithreading
- Exposure to .NET GUI development
- Good SQL skills
- Experience with the full software development lifecycle and the complexities that come with managing a large team of developers working on a common code base
- Strong communication skills and the ability to discuss relevant business concepts with business analysts, traders, operations, front office support and testers
- Experience working as part of a global team, following follow-the-sun model
Skills that will help you in the Role:
- Understanding of fixed income , Derivative products and pricing
- Messaging technologies (Solace, MQ) a plus
- Maven/Spring & Perforce a plus
- Self-motivation, with the ability to work to challenging deadlines with minimal direction
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication when liaising with directly with peers, the business and operational staff
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. Our values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our colleagues. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our dynamic working options for colleagues. If you have a need for flexibility, then please discuss this with us.
To be successful in Barclays Technology, there are a few things we look for. Creativity, curiosity, and an excitement of what we can offer, and what you can do here.
Languages and Technologies
We really love to code. And we love to make that code work for our millions of global customers. Built in a way that makes life simpler. For you, that means reinventing what money means to the world. It means going that step further to develop something that can handle millions of trades or millions of transactions a day. It’s a big responsibility. Are you ready to rethink your future?
Where do you want to take your tech career?
Financial services is going through a massive transformation, and here at Barclays we’re leading the way. People are our greatest asset. And that’s why we give our colleagues the opportunity and space to explore their ideas, and innovate on a global scale.
Find out more about what our leaders think the Barclays workforce of the future will look like.
What you get in return
However high you rise at Barclays, we believe all our employees should receive a competitive package of core benefits flexible to you and your family’s needs. At Barclays, you’ll support our customers and clients, and we’ll support you with rewards that will genuinely make a difference.
Working here makes me feel supported, valued, recognised, appreciated and has given me plenty of opportunities to grow.
ETL Developer in Market Risk, Glasgow
Barclays is a great place to work because the teams here have a very positive energy to them. There is a lot of camaraderie and team spirit here.
Engineering Lead, Fraud Detection, Whippany
One of my favourite things about working for Barclays is the freedom to explore different technical solutions to a variety of problems. It's a great way of expanding my knowledge and keeps me on my toes!
Java Developer, Glasgow
I’m really pleased with the work I’ve done so far. Because Barclays relies on technology to provide services that are so important to millions of people, we value quality over quantity, especially in software design.
Wolf Team, Prague
More about working at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Dynamic Working is a flexible approach to working. Dynamic Working empowers each of us to work in a way that suits ours lives, so we can better serve our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer; whether you need study time or ‘me’ time, Dynamic Working is designed to help you balance your life.