Senior Data Science Manager
Flexible UK location
As a Senior Data Science Manager, you will be responsible for leading a talented and ambitious team of data scientists, coaching, mentoring, and developing them. You’ll build analytical tools to generate insight, recognise patterns and predict behaviour, and to deliver content direct to users of information products. You’ll also promote and present your team’s work to senior stakeholders across Barclays, promoting the team’s profile as a centre of excellence.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
You can apply from anywhere in the UK for this role. We will confirm your place of work at the point of offer, ensuring that this is considered in line with our future ways of working and overall location strategy. The hiring manager for the role will discuss the appropriate defined time in office for the role with you as part of the application process.
What will you be doing?
• Thinking creatively, conceptually and systematically to consider the wider consequences of each decision, and deliver creative solutions
• Leading initiatives to improve the accuracy, availability, granularity and coverage of our data, and those that implement new data management and manipulation tools
• Reaching smart conclusions. Making clear recommendations blending the best of data, experience, knowledge and intuition
• Working with technical teams, architects, designers, and administrators to overcome technical challenges and to make it happen
• Organising a cross-functional team around an objective and motivate them towards its delivery
• Actively seeking out opportunities and issues which they can help solve that will drive value for Barclays Business
• Quickly gathering and analysing the right information, sorting complex issues. Seeking out diverse ideas to develop creative approaches to solve problems
• Communicating complex ideas, issues and recommendations to different levels and backgrounds
What we’re looking for:
• Prior people management experience, with tried and true approaches for developing data scientists
• Solid programming experience in Scala (preferred), Python, Java, including familiarity with Apache Spark (preferred), Hadoop
• Exceptional ability to extract strategic insights from large data sets
• Experience with machine learning methods (dimensionality reduction, regression analysis, choice models, Bayesian methods, classification, decision trees, MCMC), and big data technologies
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Proficiency in Python to develop and review code with members of the team
• Experience in delivering complex data science projects in the financial sector
• Skills at influencing and communicating to various stakeholders up to executive level
• Imagination - the ability to take an ambiguous brief and transform it into concrete deliverables
Where will you be working?
We will confirm your place of work at the point of offer, ensuring that this is considered in line with our future ways of working and overall location strategy.