FX and EM Macro Strategist
Date live: Oct. 30, 2020
Reference Code: 90272217
Business Area: Barclays International
Area of Expertise: Research
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. Our values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our colleagues. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our dynamic working options for colleagues. Where appropriate, and for UK based roles, we will consider requests that the role be based at alternative Barclays’ key UK location from that advertised.
As a Barclays Macro Strategist, you will be part of a global team who work together to determine our views on currencies and local market interest rates. Each Macro Strategist has specific areas of coverage, but views are set as a team through discussion and coordination. Using judgement and the framework of the team, you will identify opportunities and risks in foreign exchange and rates markets, then publish your views and present these to clients in person.
This role will require the role holder to hold mandatory registrations with:
Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS)
This role is deemed as a Certified role under the PRA & UK Financial Conduct Authority - Individual Accountabilities Regulations and may require the role holder to hold mandatory regulatory qualifications or the minimum qualifications to meet internal company benchmarks.
- Proactively researching rates and currency markets, using economic analysis and quantitative methods
- You will have a particular focus on North Asia Foreign Exchange and other Asian Local Markets Foreign Exchange/Rates products
- Contributing to team views through active discussion and persuasion, while liaising with research colleagues in other areas to ensure consistency of views
- Writing research reports in regular publications, as well as ad hoc publications, to update clients on new views and changes to existing views
- Presenting research views to internal and external clients face to face, both in one-on-one meetings and at client conferences
- Degree in economics and/or finance and statistics, coupled with strong quantitative skills and a familiarity and ease with mathematics and statistics
- Excellent understanding of Economic theory and practice, developed through formal education and/or from working in Economic or Strategic research roles
- Demonstrated experience in markets, particularly macro markets (currencies, rates and commodities)
- Proven experience in Asia, as an economist and/or a macro strategist (Fixed Income and Foreign Exchange)
- Programming skills in Python and/or R
- Mandarin language skills are an advantage as the oversight in this role includes a China market portfolio
- A self-driven team player, to enable collaborative team discussions
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, to enable the writing and presentation of views
Our office is located in Marina Bay Financial Centre, which has been carefully crafted into a “city in a garden”. Overlooking the scenic skyline along the Marina Bay waterfront, the green spaces and rooftop terraces have been designed to optimise employee well-being. The centre provides an integrated live-work-play development, surrounded by shops, restaurants, gyms and an alfresco dining area. Our convenient office location means you’re just a 5-minute walk from the nearest MRT station.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
More about working at Barclays
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Dynamic Working is a flexible approach to working. Dynamic Working empowers each of us to work in a way that suits ours lives, so we can better serve our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer; whether you need study time or ‘me’ time, Dynamic Working is designed to help you balance your life.