VP Debt Special Situations
As a Barclays Vice President Debt Special Situations, you will be a senior lawyer in the APAC regions (excluding Japan) providing legal risk management to the Barclays International business, assisting the Special Situations business as well as primary loans and leverage finance, secondary trading and corporate banking. You will take a part in providing legal advice to the Special Situations team as well as product specialists and relationship directors in Barclays International working on transactions involving lending and corporate banking.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality, and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognizes and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally are able to request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances. Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
- You will lead individual accountability for day-to-day, often real time, legal advice required to support the Special Situations business across APAC
- Providing legal advice and assistance to the Special Situations teams, reviewing draft documentation relating to the sale, purchase and sub-participation of debt and non-performing loan investments
- Managing loan defaults, debt recovery, security enforcement, work-outs and restructurings and managing legal aspects of corporate maintenance of non-performing loan SPVs
- Assist the Debt Origination team in APAC by reviewing and drafting legal documentation particularly in relation to mandate letters, fee letters and confidentiality agreements
- Being accountable for development and maintenance of essential legal documentation including key templates used by the business
- You will be accountable for managing external counsel in jurisdictions across APAC
- Reviewing and providing risk analysis of new products and business proposals
- You will have shared accountability for development of legal and compliance policy and procedures
What we’re looking for:
- Qualified English law solicitor/attorney (or equivalent common law jurisdiction) with 6-8 years PQE (UK equivalent) in the banking and finance department of a top tier law firm or international financial institution
- Required to have deal experience with special situations, restructurings, debt trading, loan financing and trade finance
- Should be conversant in the use and negotiation of APLMA/LMA documentation and secondary debt trading documentation
- Demonstrable Legal risk management skills in emerging market context, must have solid drafting skills and be highly organised, structured and professional
Skills that will help you in the role:
- Pro-active team player who is highly motivated and prepared to take on challenges and responsibility across more than one business line
- Able to keep senior team members fully updated on transaction progress and regulatory developments and elevate key issues to the attention of appropriate interest groups within Barclays
- A genuine interest in this area of the law and demonstrate keen observation of topical developments in special situations, lending and trade finance throughout Asia
Where will you be working?
Our office is located in Marina Bay Financial Centre, which has been carefully crafted into a “city in a garden”. Overlooking the scenic skyline along the Marina Bay waterfront, the green spaces and rooftop terraces have been designed to optimise employee well-being. The centre provides an integrated live-work-play development, surrounded by shops, restaurants, gyms and an alfresco dining area. Our convenient office location means you’re just a 5-minute walk from the nearest MRT station.