In Barclays Technology, we build solutions that make life simple for our customers. Solutions that are global, agile and smart. As a part of our team, you'll recode and reimagine, learn and adapt. Rewire what the world needs, and look ahead. This is where you can be at your best. Where you can redefine the future of finance.
Jul. 08, 2021
COO & Functions
Senior Solution Architect, VP
The Senior Solution Architect at Barclays, will be critical to growing the banks Consumer Loans Platform and related banking technologies by being part of the core engineering development team. The ideal person will have a strong background in the technologies and architectural approaches associated with large scale product/platform development and delivery.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We've helped millions of individuals and businesses thrive, creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted. An important and growing presence in the USA, we offer careers providing endless opportunity.
What will you be doing?
- A senior technical leader who is outcome focused, can contribute individually to the code base and drives innovation into the product build within that team.
- Work in a fast-paced environment with business, technology and designers to build new capabilities, platforms, features and improve existing capabilities, products and features.
- Work on large-scale, custom distributed systems using Java Enterprise, Spring, Angular/React JS
- Help drive designs towards scalable platforms, asynchronous, functional & reactive systems
- Thought leadership and bring industry best solutions and architecture mindset to the forefront
- Ability to think on feet and solve complex business and engineering problems
- Be responsible for the quality of software and help address any customer satisfaction issues
- Be a guide, a mentor and role model for other engineers around
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent subject or experience
- Experience building object-oriented solutions and Enterprise Applications using modern languages like Java. Experience in High level/Low level designs and System Architectures.
- Ability to articulate the proposed solutions in Global forums and provide well documented artifacts for developers to kick start.
- Deep understanding of enterprise architectures, integration patterns, cloud computing, encryption and API security.
- Skills that will help you in the role:
- Experience with continuous delivery, dev-ops, open source technologies & Agile/Lean software development (e.g. Scrum, Kanban, XP).
- Extensive experience building highly scalable, concurrent, large volume, event-driven systems
- Knowledge of software practices such as TDD, BDD, great communication skills and ability to work independently
- Experience with Domain Driven Design, Event Driven Architectures, API Gateway Patterns, Circuit Breaker patterns, and CQRS (Command Query Responsibility Segregation) architecture
Where will you be working?
At Barclays, we are proud to be redefining the future of finance and here at Whippany we are defining the future of the workplace and the future of the way we work and live. We are creating a unique community, one of four strategic tech-enabled hubs that will redefine opportunity for everyone who works here. Whatever you do at Whippany, you’ll have every chance to build a world-class career in this world-class environment.
Interested & want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/for more details.
What you get in return
However high you rise at Barclays, we believe all our employees should receive a competitive package of core benefits flexible to you and your family’s needs. At Barclays, you’ll support our customers and clients, and we’ll support you with rewards that will genuinely make a difference.
To be successful in Barclays Technology, there are a few things we look for. Creativity, curiosity, and an excitement of what we can offer, and what you can do here.
We are continually investing in the technology powering our business. This means rebuilding and reinventing our systems to make them fit for a world-class future. It means developing systems that help us support and protect the global economy. It means anticipating the future and taking Barclays forward as a technology-led business. We are building a team of the most perceptive and talented tech analysts, engineers and developers fluent in the most current languages to deliver all of this, and more.
Where do you want to take your tech career?
Financial services is going through a massive transformation, and here at Barclays we’re leading the way. People are our greatest asset. And that’s why we give our colleagues the opportunity and space to explore their ideas, and innovate on a global scale.
Find out more about what our leaders think the Barclays workforce of the future will look like.
I find that the work/life balance in my current role allows me to be more productive and flexible, to ensure my personal and professional ‘lives’ have the attention they need.
Head of Client Management Application Support – Whippany, New Jersey
Barclays technology has a crucial role to play and I have relished the opportunity to be involved in game-changing tech programmes.
Business Banking and BFA Chief Information Officer – Radbroke, Knutsford
The great thing about Barclays is that I get to work on great technological pieces, while seeing the effect they have on this important business.
Electronic Trading Technology – Prague, Czech Republic
Barclays’ strong values of Service and Excellence are very much evident in the work we do. Our exciting tech solutions have improved customer and colleague experiences, and added huge value to the bank.
Delivery Manager and Business Analyst – Pune, India
More about working at Barclays
Barclays offers corporate and investment banking and credit card services in the US. Our 10,000 US colleagues are located in offices across the country, with headquarters in New York City, a world-class campus in Whippany, New Jersey hosting our Technology and Functional Teams, and sites in Nevada and Delaware supporting our contact center operations.
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Respect: We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
Integrity: We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
Service: We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
Excellence: We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
Stewardship: We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Barclays offers a diverse, inclusive and engaged culture. A place where people can bring their whole selves to work and be respected for who they are, valued for what they do and celebrated for their contribution to our business and our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a Carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.